Parents and Grandparents
Especially for parents and grandparents of those navigating infertility:
- Be sensitive to your child/grandchild’s challenge. Even if you had a similar experience, they will be navigating this as a couple in their own ways.
- Asking when they will give you a grandchild is hurtful and a reminder of their struggle, even when meant in love or in jest.
- For those navigating primary infertility (to have their first child) – ensure that your children feel special in their own right and no less important to you even though they have not yet given you a grandchild.
- Do not push your children to share information about their fertility challenges and treatments that they are not comfortable sharing.
- For some parents/grandparents getting support may enable them to be more present emotionally for their child/grandchild.
- For many couples, this issue of fertility is wrapped in shame and silence. You can help break that by speaking with your children when they are (rather than avoiding the topic) and sharing with other grandparents who may be entering this experience for the first time.
FOR MORE TIPS CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW: