Getting Ready for Your First RE Consult
#1 Research: There is no such thing as the best doctor but there is such thing as a great doctor for your needs. Do research and choose a doctor based on the following criteria:
1. What kind of reputation does your doctor have?
2. The CDC tracks results of all fertility clinics.
3. Ask your community professionals who they recommend
#2 Get organized before your first appointment: Get your medical history in order
1. Do you or your partner have a family history of infertility or multiple miscarriages?
2. If you feel comfortable ask your parents about your reproductive family history.
3. If you or your partner have/had any previous medical procedures, health problems, or any seemingly unrelated medical conditions: bring along all related information.
#3 Its OK to change your mind: Remember that just because you had an appointment does not mean you need to stick with that specific doctor going forward
1. Use your own judgement at the appointment. This is an opportunity for you to interview your doctor.
2. If at any point along this journey your relationship is no longer to your satisfaction, you can always change doctors.
#4 This is your body and your treatment: You get to be a part of the decision process with your doctor